January 18, 2010

Play with Display

After photographing my renovated bookshelf for a before/after post, I realized I could use a little inspiration to now makeover what is displayed in my bookshelf. If there isn't one already, can someone please publish a coffee table book on display ideas, I am happy to donate a title: "Play with Display".

Love the mix of decorative objects, boxes and books:

House to Home

Drawn to the casual effortless style:

Sunset Home

Framed art and books aligned by color, weighted with magazine holders:

Sunset Home

Empty space is part of design, objects have room to breathe:

Sunset Home

Streamlined, simple and balanced not overworked or "themey":

Terramia


Over the next few days I plan to incorporate some of these ideas, revamping my bookshelf. If you are inspired to join me, here are some guidelines:

  • Take a before photo
  • Clean out the entire bookshelf, organizing items into like piles
  • Decide what stays and what goes
  • Scour your home for meaningful, beautiful objects to display, don't forget about artwork, pedestals, travel mementos
  • Something still missing? plan on purchasing a statement item with a self-imposed budget limit (mine will be $10)
  • Give yourself ample time to play with the display, crank some music and enjoy the process
  • Take an after photo

I would love to view and or share before/after images from readers, send photos my way via email.

2 comments:

simply brookes: said...

great post, heath.

Love the multiple "looks". Might have to steal your idea...love ya.

Corine said...

I'm inspired. I have many areas to reorganize. I'll send some photos. Thanks!!