July 12, 2010

Awesome Etching


Ever since Wendy posted about numbering stemware at SimplyBrookes, I've had this project in mind. And while wine charms are well, charming, I like the simplicity of numbered stemware.

Step-by-step directions:
Basic stemware from CostPlus, 12 glasses for 24.99. (I am constantly breaking wine glasses,thus, I keep to the basic inexpensive finds).

Carefully mark off a square, I used a 2in.square. This can be tricky as the glass is not flat, bend the tape to keep outline square. Press it down firmly to prevent uneven lines.

Center number sticker. Stickers can be found in the scrapbook section of craft store.

Using gloves, apply a thick layer of etching cream. This cream is highly caustic, use care and be sure to read the directions before applying.

After 5 min., rinse off etching cream, removing tape and sticker(keep your gloves on). I used a large bucket of water outside for rinsing.

Repeat steps to number all your stemware. Once the stemware has dried, the etching appeared darker, looks perfect.

Love how they turned out!


This was a simple project requiring an hour of time and resulting in unique, classic stemware. For a recap, to etch your own glasses, you will need the following items:
  • Stemware or glassware
  • Etching Cream
  • Painters tape, I like Frogtape
  • Number stickers
  • Gloves
  • Inexpensive paint brush
  • Heavy paper for square stencil
  • Water for rinsing

If you decide to etch your own glasses or other items, please send me photo(s). I would love to see the results.

Thanks for visiting!

4 comments:

Pat Brookes said...

So cool! That's my girl!

simply brookes: said...

Love it! Heath, I must say, that beats the heck out of my sticker numbers...Can't wait to sip from one of those myself. Well done, lady.

Jason said...

Hey Heather! This is so clever and it looks great! Thank you for the tips and instruction.

Jason

H Young said...

Thanks everyone. I am so glad you liked this project. I hope you get a chance to try some etching, possibilites are endless.